[ma-serca] Failed Emissions Follow Up (long)

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 01:21:27 -0600

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 07:52:40AM -0600, Gene Kwon wrote:

> 	BTW, retarding the ignition means it is sparking sooner... thus
> giving the cylinder more time to burn? Was that your plan?

Okay, why doesn't this sound right?  Going by the oversimplified
suck-squish-bang-blow, timing advance is still just that; advance of TDC
(BTDC).  Setting your timing to 15* means that the plug fires when the
#1 crank lobe is 15* BEFORE top dead center.  Setting it to 13* BTDC
means that it has two degrees *less* to burn.

By this logic (which is probably flawed), we give the cylinder lots of
tome to burn to make power (19* BTDC) and less time to be clean (13*
BTDC).  Am I wrong?  Can you prove me wrong with math?  Am I being
totally ignorant of how distributors work?

--
-=|JP|=-              Need a good geek?  I'm unemployed!

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://www.cardomain.com/id/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net        |