Ignition Advance Problem

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:16:24 -0600

> IIRC, if the ECU detects knock, it dials back 5*, right?

On the B13's I know, B14's I am pretty sure and B15+ I have no idea, but on
the older ones the knock sensor is ignored at WOT and above 4500 RPM. So
technically it would not be pulling timing.

That being said, I have never heard detonation on a SR20 no matter what was
going on (NA at least), they just seem to be "detonation proof", or at least
when they detonate they do it in such a way that you can't hear it. :) Because
of this ability, it's easy to miss, but the performance is still suffering.
Too high base timing will cause the car to feel great down low but skimp out
upwards of 5000 RPM.

Generally, I have found that different cars with different mods like different
amounts of timing advance, so I usually try a few different settings before
deciding what it the long term setting. When I had my old JWT cams (S1's?) the
car really liked 20-22 degrees of advance, with the S3's 17 seems to be the
best (both without JWT ECU's). Anyway, I'm rambling.

-Jay