Netiquette

Lawrence Weeks dev@deskmedia.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:55:39 -0600

Once upon a time (Mon Mar 25), geo3@earthlink.net wrote:
> Raymond A. Kawski <sr20de@epix.net> wrote:

>> It seems as though Netiquette is starting to falter on this list.
>    <snip>
>> It's near impossible to figure out who anyone is! And who
>> said what. This is one of the things that makes this list good.
>> Easy to read and follow because it has *HAD* good Netiquette.

> Very true Ray. One thing that is rather annoying is folks not
> setting up their e-mail client to use a prefix on each line of
> quoted text. First it makes it hard to read the message and get
> the point. Second, it lets a lot of crap past Larry's filters.

Yes... it's getting more and more annoying. Many people are sending
messages with no quote marking whatsoever. It's hard to read, and
makes ugly, wasteful digests, on top of the chatty off-topic stuff
that is popping up more regularily. Just last week I put that Brad
'SpecV' guy on manual-approval status and told him to clean up his
email quoting habits. He'd ignored one other warning and numerous
list filter messages. Then he comes back today with some 'sarcastic'
comments about me being on a power trip. I wish people would concern
themselves with more than their immediate convenience and realize
the impact that their laziness has on other people.

> This is still the easiest and best list to read of all that I
> subscribe to, but it has been slipping of late. It only remains
> good due to personal discipline, a little (hopefully) gentle peer
> pressure, and of course the occasional PLO event. :-)

Well, I'm shortly going to have more free time as my (second) .com
employer will soon cease to exist. I shall return to some consulting
work for a few weeks, and will try to make time to get a list reminder
mail going again, getting newbie mode to work with Mailman, and a few
other things that fell by the wayside in the move from Majordomo. And
I think Ray has a good point about people using their real, and full,
names. I'll ponder that.

Larry
--
Lawrence Weeks      "Audaces fortuna juvat."      dev@deskmedia.com