Good/Cheap helment

John Cozine jcozine@cinci.rr.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:47:34 -0600

Darth G said:

> For autocrossing and open face helmet is probably fine.  For any sort of
> on-track activity, whether driver education (DE) events or actual competition,
> get yourself a full face helmet.  You don't need one with the flip up shield -
> Bell and Simpson (and probably others) make helmets that are full face, but
> instead of a flip up shield, they have a visor of the sort normally found on
> an open face helmet.

One of the local SCCA club racers told me (actually he told Steve Attwood,
but I was there) that if you have airbags, you need to have the shield in
place on a full face helmet.  Supposedly what can happen in is that when the
airbag shoots out, some of it can end up in the eye slot.  Then, when it
inflates, it shoves your eyes and nose into your brain in the typical
violent airbag sort of way.  It's probably a 1 chance in a 1000 sort of
thing, if it really ever happens, but maybe something to be aware of.

And I second the recommendation of going with an SA helmet.  If you have any
inkling of doing a track day, you'll want one.  Oh, and don't get a black
helmet.  They get too damn hot during the summer!

John
2002 Altima 2.5S 5 speed