Electrical Drain - Relay?

Josh Foster jfoster@hoelscherengr.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:44:54 -0600

LM's:

I have an electrical drain on my Classic that I thought was fixed.  I put a
new battery in, and disconnected the trunk light - which I thought was the
problem.  Everything was good for about 2-3 weeks, but the problem has
popped back up.  The alternator is putting out 14.5V, and the battery should
be good since it is new.  Tuesday my battery was totally dead after sitting
for 8 hrs at work.  I checked the voltage when I got home and the next
morning, and it had only dropped 0.10V over night.  It has fine at lunch and
when I was leaving work.  I checked the battery voltage before a meeting
last night, and it was ~12.6V.  In the two hours of my meeting the voltage
was down to 6.6V.  I jumped it, drove home, it acted fine driving home.  I
tested the voltage when I got home (12.7V) and pulled the fuse that feeds
the dome light, clock, radio memory, etc. before going inside.  Over night
something drained it to 0.40V.  So do you think the battery (Diehard Silver)
is dead b/c it has been jumped 3-4 times lately?  I will change batteries
later, but I do not feel the battery is at fault.  Could one of the relays
be going bad - sticking open?  Any thoughts or ideas, typical relay that
goes?  Search did not lead much information of this.

Thanks,

Josh