Tuneup time, inexpensive tester, 18mm-12mm adapter, good bolts

Jon Davis jfdavis@epix.net
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:26:02 -0600

Matthew T. Blackmon wrote:

> 1) For testing the O2 and MAF grounding, is there a relativly inexpensive
> meter that anyone particularly likes?  I don't think I'll be making weekly
> use of it, but I want to ensure I get something I can rely on when I do
use
> it.

Fluke makes good meters. You can get one for about $170. If you are looking
for something cheaper, check Radio Shack. Whatever you get, look for
something that has at least one meg input impedance (look for it in writing,
don't believe the dork at the counter). Anything less will load an O2 sensor
and give you a screwy reading.

When you re-ground your MAF, be careful how you route the wire. Keep the
wire as physically close as possible to the originals, and tie it to make
sure it stays. This will minimize susceptibility to EMI. Use wire that is
the same size as the original and has a lot of strands, you want it to be
flexible. Don't solder it where it goes into the connector. If you must
solder, do it back half an inch or so from the connector. Soldering at the
connector puts all the stress right at the connection, begging for a fatigue
failure.

JD