Seatbelt Solution

Richard Duncan duncanr@flash.net
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:46:59 -0600

Back before Christmas, Justin sent in a post about the "hip clip," a little
gadget that helps the seatbelts in a Classic sit where they're supposed to,
and not against your neck. Well, I finally made it over to Wal-mart to pick
one up (about $3 for a pair) and it really does help.

It's really just a clip to hold the lap and shoulder belts together on the
inboard side, so the shoulder belt sits at a better angle. It can slide up
and down the belts to adjust the fit. Very simple, but effective. Not
perfect, mind you. It does look a little funky, and you have to watch to
make sure it doesn't get caught in the door. But worth it.

And while I haven't crash-tested it (knock on wood)it looks like it might
actually make the seatbelts a little safer, as they would be grabbing the
shoulder like they're supposed to, and not the neck. (Not that anything can
make seatbelts attached to the door really safe, no matter what the
government safety watchdogs think. What were they thinking?)

So thanks, Justin. And the rest of you, check it out!

Richard Duncan
93 classic with 113,000 miles and a new case of fifth-gear pop-out.