Best way to handle a long-distance car sale?

Lewis Shadoff lshadoff@brazosport.cc.tx.us
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:16:32 -0600

At 04:33 PM 3/14/02, you wrote:
>people are telling me that I should have all the money in hand
>before I set out for the trip. Do ya'll agree? This needs to be fair to the
>seller and buyer though. Both should have reasonable assurances that both
>are going to follow through, especially over this long distance. Maybe the
>buyer should only half the money at first? I dunno- I've never done anything
>like this before. Ideas?

When I bought my '72 Maserati Bora from a guy in Massachusetts, I drew up a
contract for the transaction.  He was to keep the car in its current
condition.  I would send him half the money, and he would send me the
title.  The remainder of the money was due when I picked the car up.

I sent him two copies of the contract both signed by me, and he signed one
and mailed it back to me.  I flew into Boston with temporary Texas license
plates, paid him the remainder, and drove the car home.

Lew

Lewis Shadoff
Lake Jackson, TX
'97 200SX SE-R, Level 10 Auto, HotShot turbo
http://www.brazosport.cc.tx.us/~lshadoff/turbo/