HELP, NEED OPNIONS AND ADVICE

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:34:47 -0600

> I read on the forum that someguy wanted to do a turbo
> install with the stock injectors and ECU but after
> they gave him crap it ended, nobody posted any updates
> or anything that I could find.

Well that was me. :) A person or two have told me that they have dynoed a
T25 at stock boost on a DE with stock ECU and injectors and I am told the
injectors top out at high RPM and it runs a little lean, just a bit too lean
for comfort. There was one person with a B15 that simply used a rising rate
FPR and was just fine, and you can get a little more flow out of the
injectors with one. I believe Jay Hassinger said setting an FPR to an 8:1
(if memory serves) rate would be proper.

BUT, there is also a guy I have talked to that for 1 year and 3-4 months ran
a stock ECU on his DET and it ran great, just a bit on the rich side. He had
hit the rev limiter in 5th with that setup and the car still runs today.
Again, that's with 370cc injectors, USDM MAF I believe, and 8.5:1
compression (or 8.3:1 or whatever a BB DET has). He also set the timing back
a bit I think too.

If you think about it, the ECU has stronger injectors than it thought it
had. So when the MAF sees X amount of air, the ECU tells the injectors to
flow somewhere between 0-100%. With the 370s thrown in there, the motor is
actually getting more fuel than the ECU thinks it is because i.e. 370s at
50% is more fuel that the stock 259s at 50%. Doing it this way would be much
cheaper, and probably more foolproof since FPRs have to be tweaked whereas
your leaving your stock ECU in there with just some different injectors is
going to be a more static situation since you aren't mucking with fuel
pressure.

This list said for a LONG time "You can't run a DET ECU! It won't work! It
will blow up!" Well, the guy with the white DETized classic at last year's
convention has run it for a long time and it works. I've heard a few other
accounts of people successfully using the DET ECU as well. In the above
example, that person using the stock B13 ECU swapped to a DET ECU after the
year and 3-4 months he used the stock ECU, and it runs fine as well, just
less rich. I believe for the actual accounts and talking to people that
running a DET ECU will work. It may require some tweaking of the TPS or
something that I'm not aware of, but it works. Since I now have talked to
someone and learned that they drove their DET with a stock ECU, I believe it
will work as well. It makes sense to me and someone did it- therefore it
does work.

There will be naysayers to this. They "know their stuff" and if you disagree
with them you are wrong. Fine, whatever. It's been done, it works. Nuff
said. May not be the best solution in the world, but having the option to
save $600 on that JWT ECU is very inviting.

Ben Davis
open-minded to "crazy" ideas that rock the SE-R list boat :)