Battery Drain (Long)

Josh Foster jfoster@hoelscherengr.com
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:13:30 -0600

Guys,

I've searched the archives and did not find what I need.  A quick rundown,
I've owned my 92 for about a week and a half.  Last Monday my rear defrost
did not work, so I checked the fuses and there weren't any in the fuse panel
for the defrost.  Replaced the fuses, I mention this b/c it is just about
the only thing I have done to the car since I've owned it.  On Tuesday,
about 3 hours after getting home from work I try to start my car.  Nothing,
no clock, etc.  It was about 20 degrees F outside.  I put it on my battery
charger for about 20 minutes and it starts.  I take my wife's car to Sears
to buy a new battery b/c I don't know how long this battery has been in the
car, and I will own this car for awhile, so I will know the history.  It
acts fine for the rest of the week, and even this weekend when it has near 0
degrees.  It starts fine this morning, but 4 hours later it is dead.  I did
install a cd player on Saturday, but I don't think that is the problem.  The
voltage across the terminals is only about 1.5 volts.  So there is a drain
somewhere, but I wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts.  One old post
says a diode could be going out on the alternator; but after buying new
tires and a battery I don't want to buy an alternator just to troubleshoot
something that could be small.  Thanks for any thoughts.  Sorry about the
long post, but I wanted to include as much info. as possible.

Josh