185/60-14 tires for '91-'94 SE-R

eric_luecke@goodyear.com eric_luecke@goodyear.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:33:57 -0600

I just purchased a '93 SE-R.  I am new to SE-R's, although I remember
reading how nice they were.  My car runs good and is very fun to drive - I
am pleased with my purchase (stock, 118k mi., black/grey, body fair/good,
interior good, engine good, newer clutch, no 5th gear pop-out, $2800,
Austin, TX).  The 195/60-14 tires on my car are almost worn out and are not
so good for steering and handling (mediocre tires to begin with, and
different front-to-back).  I want to replace them with some OE-sized
185/60-14 tires soon.  All-Season tires are not necessary since I live in
Texas.  Steering, handling, noise and treadwear are most important to me.
The only Ultra High Performance tires listed in Tirerack are Pirelli P7000
($47) andYokohama AVS Intermediate ($61), but people complain loudly about
poor noise and treadwear performance from these tires.  High Performance
All-Season tires listed in Tirerack which interest me include Bridgestone
Potenza RE950 ($68) and Dunlop SP Sport A2 ($51).  These tires will not
have the same ultimate performance as the summer tires, but they should
still be decent and give much better noise and treadwear performance.  Of
course I will consider tires other than those which I've mentioned above.
I am not interested in tires with a larger diameter because I plan on
continuing to use the OE alloy wheels.  If you have some experience with
185/60-14 or 195/60-14 tires on your SE-R, I appreciate any feedback you
can share with me.  Thanks   - Eric.