pics of Caterpillar Large Engine Center tour

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:03:24 -0600

> Back in the day when I was a Navy dude, one of the ships I was on was
> powered by 4, 16 cyl. inline Cats (D455's I think) supercharged AND
turboed,
> 1800hp and God-only-knows how much torque. During a refit three were
> replaced, through the stack. They were shipped in one each on a flat bed
> semi. Never before or never since have I seen any deisel so frickin' HUGE!

http://www.sr20deforum.com/cattrip/DCP_0999.jpg

These 16 cylinder 3600 series engines, according to their spec sheets on
Caterpillar.com, can produce as much at 7200hp at a stratospheric 1000RPM.
These are used for marine propulsion (BIG ships) and power generation. No
land vehicle uses them.

Check out www.caterpillar.com. The spec sheets are pretty cool.

Ben Davis
93 NX2000