B14 SE-R Fuel Pump Install

Carl H cfh_ser@yahoo.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:35:03 -0600

--- Joe Stewart <jstewart@eCompanyStore.com> wrote:
> >I assume the fpr will regulate the fuel flow

> I see more and more instances every day of the
> Wal-Mart pumps overwhelming
> factory regulators. Has anyone with one installed on
> a SR20 motor actualy
> verified your fuel pressure with a gauge?

Any high flow fuel pump whether it be a Bosch, VDO,
Pierburg, Denso, Mitsubishi, Jecs, Delphi, Visteon,
AFCO, Weldon, Walbro or any other has the potential to
"overwhelm" an fpr.  This is caused by too much flow
for the application. Not the brand of the pump. All
fpr's have an ideal flow range in which the slope of
the pressure v. flow curve is relatively flat and the
curve is relatively linear.  Beyond this flow range
the slope of the curve increases and the curve often
becomes very non-linear.  Pushing the fpr into this
part of the curve results in an increase in fuel
pressure.

> Also, anyone with one of these pumps, do yourself a
> favor and check your
> fuel temp. You'll be surprised at the results.

The increased fuel temp is usually caused by an
increase in the return of heated fuel to the tank.
Once again this is due to a pump sized too large for
the application.  There is a 190 lph Walbro pump
available that may be better suited to many
applications.

Carl H.