Nissan Micra rear suspension

Jon Pennington cowboydren@yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:29:36 -0600

On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 14:11, sean mcmahon wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone made anything like that around here.  Or if I got a
> rear sway bar, would that have a similar effect.

Sway bars are one (effective) thing.  Panhards are another.  A sway bar
(as we commonly refer to them) resists one end of the axle going up
while the other comes down, a twisting motion.  A lateral link keeps the
axle centered under the body when the two *want* to go seperate lateral
directions, a sliding motion.

> Or is this link worth any thought at all or what.

Call me a monkey, but I don't think so.  The entire rear locating
assembly on many Nissans is a strange (but effective!) hybrid of a
Watt's Link and a Panhard design.  Watt and Panhard, by the way, are
proper names, those of the men who designed the links.  Sue me if I get
the rest of the nomenclature wrong. ;)  Anyway, adding a Panhard rod to
our rear suspension would introduce the very bind that Nissan was trying
to prevent.  Not a good thing at all.

--
-=|JP|=-           Need a good geek?  I'm unemployed!

 '01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://www.xanga.com/cowboydren/    |  <//><
 '95 SL2 Auto   |       cowboydren @ yahoo . com        |