Gas Mileage..Hear me out!

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:10:54 -0600

Pat, Sk8rdi16@cs.com wrote:

>I am getting like 17-18 MPG. I have tried everything; new O2 sensor,
>plugs, wires, cap and button, regrounding the MAF, the fuel filter is
>fairly new will probably end up changing that again soon also.  I was
>getting average gas mileage until I went drag racing a few weeks
>ago.  Could this have somthing to do with it?

Are your radiator fans running all the time?

I'm wondering if your ECU water temp sending unit is hosed, the connection
is, loose, etc., etc.  If your fans are running all the time, your ECU is
coming to the defense of your engine since a critical piece of information
is unknown to the ECU.  So, it turns on the fans and richens the mixture to
ensure the engine stays alive.

That is something that could have gone amiss while drag racing.  If not, be
thinking sensors.  My guess is the ECU is not getting some information it
needs and is in "survival" (my term, not an FSM term) mode.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>