NASA SE-R Race Series, first race report

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:54:31 -0600

Note: forwarded message attached.

To: <SoCal-SERCA@yahoogroups.com>, "SE-R Race Series"
  <se_r_race_series@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Jim Howard" <james@trackracers.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:02:29 -0800
Subject: [se_r_race_series] Series report (long and sentimental)

Well, I'm finally recovering from an exhausting and emotional, but
incredible weekend.

I'm sure all of us remember the first time you head out to the track and get
the bug.  "I want to race" is how it went for me.  The first track event I
went to was a Porsche Owner's Club event at the Streets of Willow.  When I
saw and heard those Porsche race cars roll off of trailers and race around
the track, I knew that's what I wanted to do.

The series started with a lot of talk about racing, but finally Sheening and
Kit started the Series list to get us moving in a common direction.  I think
Steve Chow said it best with the first message: "Let Race!!"  After almost a
year of hard work by lots of people on the race series list and the hard
work of too many other people to list, we finally realized our goal.  On
Saturday February 9th, the SE-R Cup was born.

First of all, a ton of credit needs to go to Tom Paule and Mike Kojima.
With out all of their hard work getting their car ready, we wouldn't have
had anything to show for the first event.  Granted there were some crazy and
unpredictable events that kept others from competing, but Tom and Mike put
in a lot of hard work and they were probably among the best prepared cars
out there.  At one time during the race weekend after being asked if he was
going to change anything on the car, Mike said, "Racing an SE-R is like
being the Maytag repairman."  I think the performance and preparedness and
success of their car is a testament to all of the hard work they and others
put into it getting it ready.  It was an excellent ambassador for the
Series.  Many times as I stood staring at it in the pits (trying to learn by
osmosis I guess) and passersby complimented my on my great race car.  I wish
I could take credit for it.

I don't think I can accurately put into words what the first race was like.
The qualifying was exciting and a little surprising how competitive the car
was out of the box.  But to see an SE-R on the grid and pull on to the track
just made me feel so proud and lucky to be part of such a great community of
people.  The race series isn't just the culmination of the work of a few,
but the shared experiences of hundreds of SR20 fans.  I admit it, when the
green flag flew for the first race I got misty.  Watching Tom walk 6 cars on
the start made it all sweeter.  I was just so happy to have contributed my
little part to make this happen.

Those of you building or thinking of building cars: I encourage you to work
your butts off to be ready for the next race.  I know first hand that
getting a car ready is a drain on time, emotions and money, but just
experiencing the race second hand was one of the most rewarding experiences
in my life.  This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and I'm
glad I could be part of the SE-R series.  Trust me, you will be rewarded for
your hard work.

For the record, the Paule/Kojima Team has taken a commanding 200 point lead
in the SR class.  SRX is wide open at this point as all the competitors are
tied!  With a possible 7 cars being ready for Buttonwillow, it is shaping up
to be a great season.  Additionally, the #57 piloted by Tom Paule set an SR
lap record at California Speedway- a record hindered only by bales of hay.

I want to thank Andris for making me remove instead of break the windshield,
recommending a great cage builder, installing the windshield, making the
custom exhaust and so many things too long to list.  Without his help, there
our egg wouldn't be a racecar.  I'm glad you got your car back and can't
wait for you to get out on the track and know the joy of racing.  You
deserve it.

Thanks also to Mike for taking time away from his wife daughter to help
align the AFU installed suspension.  Amazingly the NX went from barely
functional to "not too bad" in the span of a weekend.  The Higashi
suspension is great- tons of travel- I can hit the curbs just like in the
Subaru.  So can Mike. :)

Finally, Tom, you are the man.  He'll be the first one of us to graduate
from his provisional license.  I watched the video- you ran a great race and
had hilarious commentary.  (Try to pass me... "No, but NO!")

Thanks everyone,
-Jim

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/o9rolB/TM