Shortening cure time for 3M urethane?

Jason Wolfe jason_a_wolfe@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:09:02 -0600

>After about a week, I checked it out and it was solid.
>When I did a pair of mounts for a friend, I let them cure for about 3 days
>and they weren't quite ready.

Alex, I actually came across your site while digging around for information.
I am using exactly the same stuff as you did (I compared part numbers from
your pictures), and you appear to have filled volumes nearly as large as the
ones I filled. The fact that they did eventually cure in your case settles
the question of whether or not the urethane will cure at that depth. I
actually called 3M and they weren't sure about it (the guy I talked to was
horrified when I told him what I was doing). The tube *does* have a shelf
life of only 12 months, so I think that indicates something right there--if
it could only solidify in the presence of ambient humidity, why would it
have such a short shelf life?
Anyway, my mounts have been in the oven for almost 6 hours, and they are no
longer squishy. They feel very solid and I can't deflect the surface more
than a millimeter or so with finger pressure. So, I think my "bake and
humidify" tactic is working.
One interesting thing, though--they seem to have puffed up a little. Is that
normal?

JWolfe