GT3037S

Aaron LaBeau amlabeau@csusm.edu
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:41:03 -0600

From: UXB <brian@unxplodedbomb.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:22:09 -0600

>Has anyone else used this turbo besides Zak?

Yes, the setup was prototyped on my car.

>I'm curious if anyone has slapped this on a GTI-R manifold?

Yes, King Jeff has one and it's going on his GTI-R motor.

>I'm dead set on the turbo.  I was planning on the FMAX
tubular manifold,  but I'm exploring other options.

This manifold is awesome.  The turbo is awesome.  I've been totally pleased
with the results.  I have yet to get the car on a dyno or on the track for
quarter mile times, but it seems super fast even at 12psi.  Rob put it to me
this way when I first started my project.  He said the 3037 will give you
more low RPM boost than your tires can handle.  It's completely true.  My
problem now is finding a street tire sticky enough to get traction in 1st
and 2nd gear.

>I'm a little concerned with the FMAX manifold because I've heard the horror
of tubular manifolds cracking.

I've had the Stage IV kit on my car for a little over 9 months now with no
problems.  The manifold is super beefy and bracketed securely.  F-Max mainly
builds manifolds for sandrails which take more abuse than a street car.  The
design also uses slip flanges on the primaries that help relieve pressure.

>I'm also not too fond of the MAF being so close to the turbo.

Neither am I but there's little room left given the configuration.  I
*think* I've found an area where I can re-route the intake hardware so the
MAF is at least 18" away from the turbo.  I'll know more towards the end of
the month when I finish cleaning up some of the wiring in the engine
compartment.

>using a modified GTI-R will fit between the block and radiator fans.

Not sure about the GTI-R setup but the F-Max kit leaves everything in place
except relocation of the battery and a modification of your A/C line from
the compressor so it doesn't touch the exhaust manifold primaries.

The car will be at the convention if your going.

Aaron