what is the best transmission lubricant?

Lewis Shadoff lshadoff@brazosport.cc.tx.us
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 08:28:00 -0600

At 11:56 PM 2/8/02, Jon wrote:
>What is the best lubricant for my gf's 2001 sentra se pp auto? I plan on
>doing some things to the car such as header,intake,pulleys,(maybe cams)..What
>is the best lubricant for this application?

Use what Nissan calls for (probably Dextron III).  You can pay a premium
for synthetic trans fluid, but won't find any noticeable benefits.  When I
switched from all the bolt-ons to the turbo motor, the trans clutches
failed in about a year (as Mike K predicted).  I'm still running regular
Dextron III, and it's hold up fine.

As for mods on an auto trans car, stick to those that don't affect low rpm
power.  i.e. header with stock exhaust, JWT ECU, CAI, pulleys.  JWT S2 cams
made my car slower up to ~30mph.

Lew

Lewis Shadoff
Lake Jackson, TX
'97 200SX SE-R, Level 10 Auto, HotShot turbo
http://www.brazosport.cc.tx.us/~lshadoff/turbo/