Oil Cooler / Fuel Cooler

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 07:17:12 -0600

Boogie, UXB wrote:

> > Don't get an oil cooler.  They're not a good idea for a road car - even
> > with a thermostat.

>Not that "because Geo said so" isnt a good enough answer for me, but
>just so I know,  why isnt it a good idea?

Because I'll curse your car from afar.  It's happened before. ;-)

Seriously, this actually comes from Jim Wolf.  The issue is that the oil
temp needs to get high enough so that any moisture in the oil boils
off.  IIRC there are some concerns about oil that is too cool not flowing
well through the cooler too.

It's been a while, I'm old, and my memory is fading on this.  Go figure.  I
know there is more in the archives.  Just search on: jim wolf oil
cooler.  The argument he makes is compelling IMHO.  I had thought about
running an oil cooler, but once I heard the argument, I decided it wasn't
such a good idea.  The DET oil cooler OTOH is kind of interesting.  It's
kind of a heater/cooler actually since it's water cooled.  This will keep
the oil temp a bit better regulated for a road car IMHO.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>