Spec-V vs Matrix

Mark Holden mark@vectorworld.com
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:36:47 -0600

>Ugh, I don't you've fully appreciated the ugliness it looks like a
>Sunfire hatch conversion.
>http://www.motortrend.com/july01/vibe/vibe_f.html

Eeek!  I apologize for slandering the (still butt-ugly)
Aztec that way.  This thing looks like a riced-out PT
Cruiser on stilts.  The Matrix version looks much better.

>I still think the Spec V would be able to go toe to toe
>with both of these cars.

I don't doubt it, until you have to make that run to Home
Depot/Lowes, and then the wagon aspect will definately
outperform the Spec-V :)  (I bought my SE-R nine years
ago, still a kid, I find that outside factors have more
influence on my car choices than back then, when all I
had to worry about was paying for it)

>>I'm picking up one of the aforementioned wagons, the
>> Suby WRX, later this month.

>It's really hard to argue the numbers that the little
>Scooby puts out and for the price.

Yep, and I'm getting a pretty damn good deal on one too.

My take on it was this.  Nine years ago, having owned
cars like an Opel Manta, Volvo 140, VW Karmann-Ghia,
the Classic SE-R just blew me away.  It was so much
better than anything I'd ever driven or test drove
in that price range that it was flat out astounding.

The Spec-V did nothing for me when I test drove it :(

The WRX generated all those feelings the original SE-R
did nearly a decade ago, working off much higher base
expectations.

>I still think the GTI-R would do very well in this
>market if it had the right styling. IT's already got the
>HP, a capable AWD, clad it in something decent and
>it'll sell.

Oh, no doubt.  I'd be one of the first in line, but
short of buying an Xterra, Nissan doesn't even offer
a hatch, in this country, much less an AWD turbo wagon.

My girlfriend is trying to convince me to pick up the
WRX on Saturday...  She likes it almost as much as her
Volvo V40 turbo wagon.

-Mark Holden
'93 Classic

Sent via VectorWorld.Com Webmail Interface