No Archive: 300zx twin turbo buying tips???

Will Norton will_norton@hotmail.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:54:05 -0600

I have been dreaming of purchasing a 300zx twin turbo for some time now ,
but I thought my better half would strongly object to such a purchase.  So
as you can imagine how shocked I was when she actually suggested we go look
at one.   I think all my bitching about my Triumph has finally paid off ;-)

I  know this is an se-r list but I am hoping someone could give me some
purchasing advise (what to look for kinda thing) for a twin turbo.  The blue
book value seems to change a lot with the year 14-16K for a 93 to 22-24K for
a 96.  Are these valuations based only on expected mileage and age or are
there significant design changes on these cars over the years.  Are there
any 5th gear pop out  type issues that would steer me clear of certain
years for these cars.   Is the 4 wheel steering a problem?  Do the turbos
tend to degrade quickly with typical non turbo-timer type driving habits?
Is there a list or a website like se-r.net for more information on these
types of questions.  I saw an article in SCC a while back that said 425 HP
was fairly easily attainable with some JWT goodies.  Has anybody done any of
this?  If so how much cash is required for that kind of hop up?  Thanks in
advance for your help!

-Will Norton

94 SE-R sapphire blue
97 SE-R  Autumn (orange/copper)