Rod bearing confusion

Jay Whitely jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:22:23 -0600

Hello all,

I am replacing the rod bearings in an S13 Silvia
SR20DET.  Here is what is going on.

1. checking the codes on the crank and block indicate
that I need grade 1 rod bearings, all o's on the rods
and all 1's on the crank

2. I ordered 8 grade 1 rod bearings. 4 of them have a
black mark on the side and 4 have a brown mark. This
would mean to me that I was given 4 grade 1's and 4
grade 2's.

This is not the case, however. All 8 bearings have the
following part # stamped onto them: F-780 STD 12111
1N500. The 0 at the end tells me it is a grade "0".

So, according to the colors, I get one result. Looking
at the part #'s tells me something else.

3.  Rememebr the codes on the block say I need all
grade 1 rod bearings. All of the old rod bearings had
the following part #s:

F-780 STD 12111 60J00. The 0 at the end tells me the
engine had all grade 0 bearings in it. Get this...they
all have a brown mark on the side, not black! I always
though the brown mark meant it was a grade 2.

Can anyone advise me here? My hunch is to go with the
grade 0 bearings, which I already have purchased
(according to the part #'s stamped on them). The
engine already had grade 0's to begin with.

4. The box from Courtesy Nissan has a part # of 12111
1N501, meaning grade 1, but there were 0's in the box.

That just adds to the confusion!

5. Or, should I just reinstall the old bearings and
not worry about it? They look just fine with no
abnormal wear at all.

Sincerely,

=====
Jay Whitely