1157 LED Taillights??

Brax Sisco xenex@chpl.net
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:41:11 -0600

Hi folks,

  I searched the archives on this but didn't find anything.  Has anyone
tried using those "Super-Bright Red LED 1157" taillights?  I just bought
a set and tried them in my '97 200SX SE-R, and they didn't exactly
work.  They are SUPPOSED to be drop-in replacements for the regular 1157
bulbs, but I guess maybe Nissan lights are wired positive ground or
something.

  Anyway, I am aware that LED's are polarity-sensitive, but here's the
deal.  They only fit one way, because of two little "teeth" on the base
that only let them lock in one way.  When I put them in that way, no
light.  But if you depress the brake, they do light, but not
"Super-Bright."  If you put them in "backwards" they do light, same
brightness as before, but pressing the brake doesn't make them get any
brighter.

  I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to switch the wiring around
to make them work.  I'm thinking there isn't, but I'm kind of confused
as to what's going on.  I THINK that the base is common ground, one of
the bump-connectors on the bottom is for running lights, and the other
for brake lights. I guess I should take a multimeter and test and find
out for sure, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask if anyone has any
ideas...

Thanks,

  Brax