Whistling Classic

Brad Richards richards@cs.vassar.edu
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:20:53 -0600

At 7:48 PM -0500 1/28/02, Ben Davis wrote:
>Did you un-torque the old header-to-block bolts in the proper sequence and
>torque the new header on in the correct sequence and using the correct
>torque spec, and then recheck the torque a second time? If not, the leak
>could be coming from between the block and the header.

Yep.  I resisted my monkey-like tendencies, and actually did look up the
torque values and sequence in the FSM.  Retorqued after a day or two.
In any case, if there were a problem there I'd expect an exhaust
leak, not a vacuum-like whistle.

>Otherwise, double check the EGR, AIV, and O2 sensor fittings.

I've checked those a couple of times.  But again, I'd expect an
exhaust leak at those points if they were loose.

	Brad