weird high pitch pinging noise?

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:50:11 -0600

After sifting throught the archives the past half hour or so, I'm starting to
think it's detonation.... but why would it be detonating at idle?  Running 93
octane gas, have a front mount IC, and it's not hot outside (upper 70's)though
it is really humid.  And it randomly happens around 10-20 seconds or so.  It's
not totally consistent.  When I change the oil, I'm going to check the turbo
shaft for any play.  It's the only easy thing to check right now that I can
think of.  Hmm... guess I'll check the plugs too.

> Spun bearings have always sounds like a low deep knocking noise to me.
> Doubt this is what you are hearing.
> Dave

> > I got home from a drive tonight and noticed a weird metallic high
> pitch> pinging> > noise that hadn't been there before as I was pulling into my
parking> space.