Gen. Info: measured exhaust noise levels

Steven Papatrefon thepep@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:25:29 -0600

Just thought some of you might be interested in some measurements of my
particular exhaust systems noise levels so you will know what NOT to do.  I
have a '92 NX with AEBS header, Thermo-tec header wrap, PR CAI, 2.5" Catco
cat, 2.5" Thrush glasspack resonator, 2.25" crush bent b-pipe (supposed to be
2.5" mandrel bent but that is a whole other story.  Was ripped off by
installer), and Borla 2" turbo stainless steel muffler (again lied to be
installer).  Anyway, thats my setup currently.  I have all the components in
my garage waiting to be installed for a real 2.5" system with a new glasspack,
Dynomax Ultraflow and piping.

I borrowed a friends sound level meter since my exhaust is too loud.  It is
only a cheapo Radio Shack analog meter but to get basic readings it sufficed.
I started my car up for the first time on a cold morning and measured the
noise level at the tailpipe.  It was between 110 - 120dB and that is at idle.
I measured the levels at various points within my car and the readings ranged
from 90 - 100dB.  Now I know why I have to turn the stereo up much louder than
I used to and why I am probably going deaf.

As a comparison, I measured the same points on my wife's 1999 Dodge Intrepid
ES (stock).  88dB at the tailpipe and around 68dB in the interior.

Steve Papatrefon
loud ass car for another two weeks