det swap

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:21:46 -0600

Lee Combs <sr20depower@yahoo.com> wrote:

>sooo, what is the average cost of an install, complete. (engine, etc etc)

>$3K?

I would say that is the cost of parts and materials only, doing the work
yourself.  It can be done for less, but not much less.  This would not allow
much if anything for extras.  You might be able to do a FMIC if you got the
engine cheaply enough.  It would be tight though.  For a proper install with a
FMIC I'd say budget $3-4k.

If you cannot do it yourself, add the cost for labor and add at least 25% of
the quote to your budget because most shops won't get it righ the first time,
there will be over runs, whatever.  Just budget for it.  You might get lucky
and not need it, but if you need it, you don't want to be without the budget.

I know some will say it can be done for less.  It can.  But it's somewhat
rare.

>is it recommended to do the DET over the FMAX kit?

I agree with Derrick.  This is one for the archives.  You're asking for an
opinion that has been hashed out many times and there is *no* right answer.
The best you can do is get a good perspective of those who have discussed it
before.  Then if you have specific questions, you will be better off than just
asking this general question.  The bottom line is whatever answers you get
still won't really answer your question because there is no right answer.  The
best you can hope for is to have a good understanding of the issues before
*you* decide.

George Roffe