WRX

Aaron Mosher amosher@maine.rr.com
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:40:29 -0600

> From: "Brent Ellzey" <brentlz@commspeed.net>
> Date: Mon,  7 Jan 2002 12:32:03 -0600
> To: <se-r@lists.deskmedia.com>
> Subject: RE: WRX

> Yeah, the 5-door is a definite sleeper with some real potential for fun.
> Besides, _any_ car with a functional hood scoop has got to be majorly
> cool!...sorry, my redneck-recessive gene kicked in ;-)

> -snip-

> Agreed: I wouldn't call a stock WRX "fast"...more like "quick" when kept in
> the 3.5krpm to 6k rpm range.

-snip-

Off the line the lag kills it, but from 10-80 ohmy.

  Another real limiter on the WRX's handling is the POS
> Bridgestone RE-92 tires the factory shod the car with.  I'm working on
> wearing them out ASAP: over 3k miles of asphalt, dirt, gravel, and snow on
> them in just over 2 months :-)

The tires do suck.  I've got 1500 miles on my wagon after 15 days and can't
wait until I have to buy new tires.  I'll probably hold off buying winter
tires and wheels until next winter.  Don't know how the RE92s are going like
the one day winter driving school I'm doing next month.  Guess I'll just
take it easy.

The WRX is definitely the fastest car I've ever owned - while a modded
Classic would be great fun, I kind of needed the wagon and the newer car
warranty.  Someday I'll pick up the project SE-R.  Someday.

One thing Nissan - Classic SE-R, 200SX SE-R - has over the Scooby is the
seats.  The WRX seats are downright awful for long highway trips.  I HATE
them, but didn't realize how bad they would be.  The side bolsters hold you
in place, but the pinch my butt too much and my legs and feet fall asleep.
Maybe I've got an artery in a weird place.

The SE-R list community seems much more mature and focussed than the Impreza
community - at least on i-club.  Lots of i-club postings are 'My mom's
buying me a  new car - can i beat my friend's Civic with a WRX?' and 'I love
the WRX in Gran Turismo 3, but after I got my license last week I wrecked my
new WRX'.  The SE-R list is much more productive!