speedvision world challenge

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:12:16 -0600

Rob Cadle wrote:

>I'm always amazed at how much faster a National class driver is than a
>regional driver.  I think it's amazing that the track record for IT cars
>in a lot of regions is no faster than the record for the equivalent SS car.

Just be careful making those comparisons.  Top SS cars have some really
good suspension thanks to the asinine "trunk kits."  The SE-R has bigger
brakes in SS than IT thanks to the same stupid rule.  Also, I'll bet the
engines typically are closer in power than you might think.  There are not
a lot of truly top quality cars in IT while SS gets a lot of manufacturer
support.

That said, the competition is much more fierce and that does make a difference.

>As far as the contact, I say it adds to the entertainment value of it all.

Sad but true.

>If the whole field is making contact, then that's just the way the series
>is run.  if you can't handle it, don't run there.

Can't argue there.  You have to know the ground rules and just how far you
can take things.  When in Rome and all that stuff.

I personally don't really blame the drivers as much as the sanctioning
bodies.  They allow it so it happens.  If they didn't allow it, it wouldn't
happen.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>