Phantom Grip info

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:24:49 -0600

Jon Pennington cowboydren@yahoo.com wrote:

>People keep saying Torsen and Quaife as if they were very different.

They are and they aren't.

Torsen is a brand.  It was also used to refer to the design (the name itself
comes from TORque SENsing).  But the design is now refered to as Automatic
Torque Biasing (I *think* I got that right).  But Torsen holds the patent on
this.

Quiafe produces an ATB type limited slip differential now.  I don't know if
they pay a fee to Torsen, or if they have enough difference in their design to
get around the patent.  I think the former is the correct answer, but it's
just an educated guess.

So now, is the design a Torsen or an ATB? :-)

George Roffe

http://mail2web.com/ .