alignment question settings..

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:57:12 -0500

Greyson Crowe <GCrowe@itd.state.id.us> wrote:

>SO what would be the ideal alignment settings on a B13 lowered about 1.5
>inches..driven on street/autocrossed ocasionally.  I don't want to buy tires
>every 6 monthes...but still want some cornering.

Well, not to schwanzkopf, but this very subject is well address on SE-R.net.

I'd highly recommend reading through what is there.  You might try the
archives, but I think on this subject they could turn out to be somewhat less
helpful (I think it would be hard to find enough *good* information through a
series of searches - don't all have a heart attack on me now ;-).

Anyway, I think if you read what is on SE-R.net it will give you something to
go on.  It would allow you to ask more focused questions to zero in on what
may work for you.

Selecting the proper alignment is something of an art (if you're not doing a
lot of testing).  Whatever you select will be somewhat of a guess, so keep
that in the back of your mind.  Your choice is going to be fraught with
compromise.  Keep that in mind as well.  Also any answers you get will also be
a guess.  What is on SE-R.net is at least tested.

Given what you've mentioned, here is my guess for a baseline:

Camber
F ~ -1.5 deg
R 0

Toe
F 0 - 1/32" IN
R 0 +/- 1/32"

For me *personally* I'd probably select a bit more rear toe out, but unless
you have a fair amount of experience that could be somewhat dangerous for you
due to its effect on oversteer (not for the inexperienced on the street).  Toe
out will lead to more wear on the insides of the tires, but since the rear
tires do so little besides keeping the chassis from scraping the ground, I'd
personally risk it.  My $0.02.

George Roffe

http://mail2web.com/ .