right drive axle

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:51:59 -0600

David M. Hoffman wrote:

>I am in the middle of replacing my front struts and right drive axle.
>The strut assemblies are back in and I am at the point of installing the
>rebuilt axle.  Should I put grease on the inboard splines before
>inserting it into the transmission?  The Haynes Primera manual implies
>that you should but this does not seem correct to me for an auto trans.

Sounds strange.  I don't remember ever seeing anything about that in the
FSM and I've never read about anyone doing so, even with a manual
gearbox.  I've personally never done it through the several times I've
removed and reinstalled halfshafts.  Maybe I'm just a monkey though.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>