What should I use to flush the motor..

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:46:37 -0600

On 12/19/01 3:50 PM, "SeRNiSm0@aol.com" <SeRNiSm0@aol.com> wrote:

> What oil flushing additive do you guys suggest for my 92 se-r with mobil 1
> since I have owned the car and 130,000..Still runs very strong what you guys
> suggest?

Well, since noone has actually supplied an answer, I'll just pop in and say
STP Motor Flush, I'd avoid the cheaper flushes if you haven't flushed
before.

STP has (for me) seemed to do a very nice job as disolving the sludges and
varnish when I've used it.  A while back at one of the Texas rallies I had a
leaking valve cover so we pulled it to have a look inside, ran the flush for
their maximum recommended time, drained, and pulled the valve cover off
again.  There was a significant reduction in the varnished areas inside, and
the drained oil wasn't clumpy at all, it was very thin, and very black.

I've used this another time when I replaced my oil pan to clean up varnish
down below, it did a great job there just dipping an old toothbrush in the
stuff and scrubbing a bit.

Now, all that being said, you might have seals that are gummed up and this
will wash that right away, so depending on their condition they may then not
seat well and you could have leaks, but the STP does have addatives to
recondition the seals, but as they say, your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth, I didn't switch to synth until I'd hit 120K, and I
believe that's when I first used STP flush as well.  Haven't had a leak
problem at all, and I'm fast approaching 200K.