Driving Schools (long)

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:11:31 -0500

Alex Samardzich <rwd_sr20det@importnut.net> wrote:

>A friend of mine was asking me about driving schools and different
>organizations. I was hoping the list could help me out.

>I'm looking for schools like Skip Barber and organizations like SCCA.
>Obviously, I've already included those in my list.

What is your friend's interest and intent?

If he is interested in racing, I highly recommend karting.  For the cost of
attending a commercial racing school, he can purchase equipment that will be
competitive (the equipment will be better than the driver unless he's the next
Ayrton Senna or Michael Schumacher).  Karting is unparalleled for the amount
of seat time you get.  He will learn to actually race (which is different than
just driving) and learn preparation and tuning.  A racing kart chassis is
adjustable for front and rear ride height, front and rear track (width), front
toe, caster, and camber.  Gearing is adjustable as well as clutch stall speed.
The point is, if someone is interested in racing, they will learn more in a
season of karting that 3-5 seasons of car racing.

If he is interested in learning to get the most out of his car, commercial
racing schools have their place, but IMHO, not until you've worked on other
things and read a lot of books on the subject.  The primary objective of a
commercial racing school (despite what they may publicly say) is to keep
monkeys from damaging their equipment.  Now, the way they do this is to
isolate certain training activities.  They will have you work on threshold
braking, heel and toe.  Despite the fact that some people no longer use this
technique, it is a requirement for using a racing gearbox (although the clutch
isn't, strange as that may sound).  They will work on skid control, both
avoiding one and controlling one.  While they won't teach you how to race,
they will eventually give you the basics on how to get around a race track
without being dangerous to yourself or those around you.

If he is simply interested in driving a real race car, a commercial school is
the best (but not only) way to go.

If he is interested in improving as a driver, Driver Education events (AKA
lapping days) are excellent for seat time and price.  At DE events, you will
be given an instructor who will generally have decent to excellent experience
at getting around a race track and be able to give advice on trying different
techniques.  If the instructor is any good, they will keeps the reins on the
student and try to prevent them from getting over their head (doesn't always
work as the video of the Scooby that went on it's roof that was on the net
proves).  A good instructor will keep students at a speed where they can hit
their entry, apex, and exit properly every time before giving them looser
reins to go faster.  This is the fastest way to improve.  DE events are fun
and inexpensive.  They are second only to karting for seat time per dollar.

If he is intersted in learning what it takes to get all he can out of his car
and himself, reading a lot on the subject is *the* place to start.  Without
this, a commercial school, DE event, or racing karts will be a money wasting
endeavor IMHO.  Good books on the subject abound.  Among them are Bob
Bondurant on High Performance Drivng, Going Faster by Skip Barber, and the
classic textbook on the subject is The Technique of Motor Racinig by Piero
Tarrufi (sp?).  Read read read.  Where safe, begin putting the techniques into
practice at a speed the is *totally* safe.  Then look into these other
options.

Commercial schools:
Bob Bondurant at Firebird International Raceway
Derek Daly at Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Skip Barber at Limerock
Jim Russell School (used be to several locations)
The Bridgestone School at Mt Tremblant

There are others.  If your friend wants to get an SCCA license, he should look
at <http://www.scca.org> and find the certified schools that can provide the
necessary requirements for an SCCA Regional License.

I attended the Bridgestone School when it was the Spenard-David Racing School
at Shannonville.  It was a really good deal because my US$ went farther in
Canada.  Something to consider.  My driving instructor was David Empringham
who is a 2x (almost 3x) Formula Atlantic champion and a former Indy Lights
champion.  You never know who you will meet at a commercial school.  Just
because it doesn't have a famous name doesn't mean it sucks.

I also recommend the Derek Daly school because all of their cars are equipped
with data acquisition.  This would be really helpful for improvement, and
anyone wishing to go further in racing should become familiar with data
acquisition.

So, there is MHO on the subject.  Some may agree and some may disagree.
Everyone has different goals and aspirations.

I've left out the SCCA driver's schools.  They aren't there to teach you much
of anything.  They are there to make sure you won't be a problem for other
drivers basically.

If your friend wants more information, have him contact me directly.

George Roffe
Kart Racing 87-95
Spenard David Racing School 89
DE events 00-01, instructor in 01
SCCA school 01
and if you count 3 slow laps with a broken car, TWS 6-hour race 01

http://mail2web.com/ .