Cold start probs with a 93 Infiniti G20

Graham, Ted Ted_Graham@csgsystems.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:58:45 -0700

Actually, it is a 93.5, auto trans, 102K miles.
We've had it 2 years, and recently it has started giving us trouble when
starting it in the cold. It is fine when it is garaged in Denver for the
night, but twice now it has refused to start after sitting in the ski area
parking lot for the day.
The first time our mechanic said it was badly flooded, so he changed the
plugs and told us to only give it 1/3 throttle when starting in the cold.
The second time I pulled the plugs, which were wet and let it sit overnight
with them out and it started in the morning.

I talked to the Infiniti dealer and they said to not give it any throttle
when starting, but if it won't start, to floor the throttle
and crank and crank without turning the key back and forth. The mechanic
said turning the key on and off will flood it.

A friend of mine's grandmother had cold start problems with her J30 a few
years ago and used some additive to fix it. The mechanic said that was
probably BG44K, which seems to get good reviews on the web.

So, experiences with cold starting a G20? Thoughts on what the recommended
procedure is?  If I can't get this fixed my fiancie is going to sell it and
buy an SUV.

Thanks,
Ted