Possible high rate, OEM type spring deal

Chris Scarpulla sr20de@optonline.net
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:18:09 -0500

Guys,

Here's the results of my conversation with Hyperco;

Hyperco WAS going to get into the 'street ' spring market, but decided
against it.

Nothing (pricing included) is going to happen until at least mid January. As
a point of reference ONLY, the lower rate springs they made were sold at
$162.

IF (note the IF) they get made, it will be ONLY for B13's. They already made
the lower rate ones, so they have the engineering specs for B13's, and
they're not interested in starting from scratch on another chassis. :( I'm
not sure where that leaves NX2000's. Our Evil Overlord Ben tells me that
they have specs for the NX.

Since they're not interested in the street aftermarket, they need to
guarantee a minimum number of PRE-SOLD springs (maybe as low as 25 sets).
We'll probably need to set up a PayPal account, or something similar and
have the necessary money in it BEFORE they make the springs. I expect there
will be a prototype set made, so we can verify fitment, etc.

Right now we're shooting for 300f 200r springs, with a 1" drop. I'll check
with Mike Kojima on this, but from everything I've read, it should be a good
street/occasional track rate & work well with AGX's. Hyperco tells me
they'll be a dual rate spring, not linear or progressive. They explained to
me that dual rate springs have the top portion softer than the main body of
the spring, this softer part is compressed by the static weight of the car,
and gets you into the higher rate portion quicker than a progressive spring
would. My monkey brain has no idea why this is better than a linear rate
spring, so take it for what it's worth.

So we don't waste Hyperco's time, maybe we should setup a poll to see who's
SERIOUSLY interested in these.

What about some of you guys who run shops, would you consider buying a
quantity for resale?

Now you all know everything I know. I'll post more info as it becomes
available, but don't expect anything for at least 4 weeks.

Chris