DE -> Det stuff...

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:53:38 -0600

James Mandy wrote:

>Why do i read everywhere that he DE distributer gets put onto the DET? Whats
>the purpose of this?

That only applies to the US market B14 (and probably later P platform
cars).  I don't know about your application.  The US market B14 uses an
internal coil (IIRC) and this is what necessitates the change.  If your DE
uses an external coil like the DET, I doubt you need to change.  I didn't
change that on my P10.

>Which of the Water temp senders is ECU.

The one with the red plastic connector.

>I think one's ECU and ones just a switch for the thermo fan?

The other is for the gauge, not the fan.  I don't know if  you need to
change this or not, but I would suggest it, since you don't know if the
sender for the gauge is the same as the one your car had.  On US market
cars it causes the readings to be off.

>My thermo fan wont come on... so i hardwired it
>to come on with ign... the red temp sensor is now unplugged(switch for
>thermo fan?). The other single wire sensor (black one) is from DE, and in,
>working, i spose. (ECU?) I guess I could attempt to put the DE (red) temp
>sensor into the DET and plug it back in and put the relay in and see what
>happens.

A couple of things here.  The red sensor feeds the ECU which in turn
switches on the fans.  With that sending unit disconnected, the fans should
always be on.  It's the ECU's way of giving maximum protection to the
engine when it doesn't know water temp.

Also, your engine should run really poorly with this sending unit
disconnected.  The ECU will do other things to protect the engine, such as
making it very rich and I think also removing some ignition timing.  You
must connect this.  You should not swap this sending unit out since you are
using the Bluebird ECU.  That sending unit is the same between the US
market cars and the DET, but I don't know about yours.  You could take the
DET unit out and compare part numbers (it's stamped on the sending unit)
and if it's the same, swap them to see if it fixes the problem.

>Does the O2 sensor -have- to be changed? (to DE one) I'm still using DET.

Well, you will need to use the same O2 sensor that the DET uses since you
are using a DET ECU.  But, if you can get the same O2 sensor, you should
probably change it since you don't know the condition of the DET O2 sensor.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>