Help, DET installed, some probs.

Mr James Mandy nismo@iinet.net.au
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:13:37 +0800 (WST)

Have removed the DE from my pulsar SSS and installed the DET.

I have a few small problems, firstly I'm running the DET engine, U12 DET
computer, DE loom, DE TPS, etc...

1) The temp gauge was rising too high, realised the thermo fan wasnt
switching on, also then realised after checking archives that you need to
fit the DE temp sensor's onto the DET, doh. Anyway, removed the thermo fan
relay and mocked up a wire/spade terminals and hardwired the thermo fan to
turn on when ign is on. This worked, temps are now good. I swapped over
the sender with the single wire (black plug) but not the one with two
wires (red plug).... very difficult to get to! wonder if this will solve
the thermo fan problem if i swap it out. I did read in the archives that
the U12 det ECU has a different thermo on/off graph or something?

2) It wont rev past 3 to 4k under load. It kinda rev's up when driving
then cuts, like a fuel cut, perhaps a boost cut.
I have no exhaust on the car (dump pipe only!) and its damn noisey, etc..
I'm wonder if this could be the problem? Would the car have heaps more
boost with no exhaust at all? Ie, perhaps its boosting up, and boost
cutting.

I can rev it up fairly high if I go very gentle on the throttle, ie not
stomp it, just ease it up very gently, it will rev up, 6-7k no worries.

The car has no air box/filter on it (sorting this out) and it has a rather
chunky BOV on it.. perhaps there's a leak in the adapter we made.. hrmm.

Only other thing i can think of is knock sensor, not sure if this is
relevant with the conditions ive explained.

Any help is appreciated! I'll organise a 3" mandrel exhaust asap. should I
do a custom made 3" dump pipe too? Will it fit with the aircon there?

Otherwise, the car runs so so nice, its smooth, it fired up first go, no
smoke, idled very nicely, its quiet, and I'm very happy. I just hope to be
able to feel the power soon (get it revving)

Cheers, James
nismo@iinet.net.au