HELP: ACT Clutch problem; MYSTERY SOLVED!!

Thomas Reynolds treynolds@gonetrix.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:58:36 -0500

First of all thanks to all those who responded to this thread. You all have
been *very* helpful. This is what the SE-R list is about.

Sooooo.... Tonight I pulled the tranny.

1. It wasn't the Throwout Bearing (it was installed properly)
2. It wasn't the disc in backwards

It was a broken pressure plate!! The machinist at ACT told me that I could
tell if the spacing between any of the fingers uneven from the rest of the
fingers. Sure enough there was a HUGE gap between 2 fingers. What a huge
relief to see that! After staring at it for quite some time I have yet to
figure out mechanically why it won't work but I'll take ACT's word on it.
Took us 3.25 hours (2 people). Ahhh that friggin driver axle, what a pain,
again.

Now I guess I can beg them to ship me a new one overnight for a Saturday
install...

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo