stock muffler available? or aftermarket recos. Also rocker and A-pillar rust mitigation

David Pertuz d.pertuz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:58:17 UTC 2020

Just got my car back with a new rack and new front end (control arms with
bushings, a/r bar bushings, end links, strut mounts, replaced broken
spring). I'm thrilled to drive it again. But in all its sitting, the
exhaust broke again. A couple of years ago I finally repaired the damage
from the cat converter theft using a cat that Josh Palmer gave me. When
this was done, the joint between the midpipe and muffler was too stuck to
unbolt and the shop had to cut and weld. It's this weld that is broken.
Ideally, I'd have a shop make a new midsection and I'd get a good used
replacement OE muffler (I don't want anything louder than stock). Backup
choices would be either new midpipe, weld flanges on that and muffler, keep
using muffler. Third would be aftermarket, but I absolutely do *not* want a
loud exhaust, and like the stock look. Anyone got a muffler lying around?

Second: a year or two ago, rust finally started appearing on my car in ways
that weren't connected to water leaks. My car's done amazingly well for a
car that's been in the midwest for 21 years - rockers, wheel lips, etc. all
clean as a whistle. I have rust on the bottom of the trunk lid, below the
license plate, from a water leak through the lights that would collect
water at the flange. And a sunroof drain tube leak did some hidden work on
the drivers a pillar. Now I'm starting to see bubbling on the left outer
rocker, inside the door jamb on the body below the upper hinge, and at the
bottom of the jamb. I'd like to coat the outside stuff with POR15 (and I'll
paint and spray the chassis before winter) but I'd also like to get inside
the rockers and jamb and spray the inside surfaces - suggestions as to
where to get in there?

David
Chicago