18 years ago

Lawrence Weeks lweeks at anabasis.net
Thu Sep 12 16:59:54 UTC 2019

Looking at the archives and talking with my son last night brought a lot
back. I wasn't involved in the list discussions, don't think I even went
online for a day or two. I was getting ready in the morning to go to work,
in a (not too tall) tower in downtown Chicago. We had the TV news on and
the first plane hitting was announced. I was almost walking out the door
when the second plane hit. I stayed home. I called co-workers who had
evacuated the office, or hadn't made it there yet, and were watching on TVs
in restaurants/bars. Nobody knew what was coming next, people were
evacuating downtown. Credible fears that the Sears Tower could be a target,
nobody knew until the air space was totally cleared. Rumors were running
fast -- you can see that in our own list archives.

Chicago having one of the busiest airports in the world, one is accustomed
to non-stop planes overhead. On 9/11 and the next day at least, there was
nothing up there, other than jet fighters. Regarding rental cars... The
181st Fighter Wing was flying patrols over Chicago with the first fully
armed jets that day (and also escorted Air Force One back to D.C. air space
on 9/11). It's a reserve wing and one of its pilots was in NYC working for
Delta on 9/11. He got a rental car from Avis that hadn't even been
registered yet, and drove it cross country to his air base in Indiana.

Speaking of fighters, I heard on the radio this morning an interview with
one of the two pilots who would have been tasked with taking down United
93, if it hadn't already gone down before they even launched. They had no
time to arm those fighters. The pilot said she was planning to fly her jet
into the tail of the plane to bring it down, her partner would take the
cockpit.

Quite the event we lived through. I'm happy to see so many of us (224)
still connected through this list.

Larry

Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks at anabasis.net
Anabasis Consulting Ltd