what is everyone driving now?

Frank Ewald frank_ewald at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 1 07:46:23 EDT 2014

Life has gotten complicated recently so I haven't been checking the
list, but wow, lot's of traffic. Time to do some reading.

My wife's car is a 2007 Nissan Altima S with CVT transmission. Owned
since new and it's a reliable car that seems to be a magnet in parking
lots. Constantly getting hit. Front bumper cover has been replaced
twice and needs repainting again. And it's not her fault, the last
time a taxi - driven by a friend of the taxi's official driver -
backed up three car lengths and hit her. Sigh.

For my daily driver I have a 2004 Mazda RX8 that I bought three years
ago with 27000 kilometres on it - that's under 20000 miles. It's
pristine and using it as a winter car is probably not the most
sensible, but drifting around snowy corners sure is fun. My daughter
was going to need a car and she wanted something sporty with room for
four, so my intent was to drive this for a couple of years and then
pass it her way. As she's a better driver (faster and more intuitive)
than me, I figured it would be okay. After driving it in the snow she
realized it wasn't the car for her. She moved to Australia so I could
have sold it but I still like it.

I have a 2000 Ford E450 Triple E RV for hauling cars around and
camping. Often at the track. It's the only thing that gets worse
mileage than the RX8!

My 92 NX1600 still has a place of honour in my driveway. I'm the
original owner and don't see it ever leaving. As you probably know,
the modified GA16 engine was replaced with a 54c SR20DET. And this
summer it hasn't even left my garage because I blew the turbo seals in
May and it's been in my garage since. I've replaced the turbo with
another OEM GTi-R turbo - engine is stock with a boost controller to
give added excitement. I'm having a Vibrant intercooler built with
custom end tanks to provide better flow and also better fitment. I'm
upgrading to a FastBrakes 11.75" BBK. Have just installed the Nismo
LSD that I bought from Chris into a B15 transmission. Switched from
the G20 tranny because I'm looking for more pull in fourth and fifth.
And I'm talking to Special Projects Motorsports about getting some
aero. If you live near ORANGE, CA I would appreciate if you'd be able
to take your NX by their shop so they could get some measurements.

And for fun, although I don't own it, I've been racing a 94 Miata in
ChumpCar events. Mosport, Watkins Glen, and Calabogie were ChumpCar
events that were highlights for me.

Take care,
Frank