se-r.net web site

George Roffe geo31 at suddenlink.net
Wed Sep 4 15:07:50 EDT 2013

Torry, I think you need to brush up on copywrite law. I own the content I provided. When I provided it, I did NOT assign my rights to SE-R.net beyond the immediate use there. Just because it's readable on SE-R.net doesn't entitle anyone, including the owner(s) of SE-R.net, to grant the use of my content. It belongs to me. End of story. And of course, the same with other content providers. SE-R.net was only allowed to *use* my content, but I granted that use. Anybody else risks a letter from a lawyer demanding money.
Your interpretation of ownership of content may be based upon some terms of use by some web sites. However, a blanket terms of use statement doesn't always hold up. For instance, Facebook was successfully sued because they would post on people's Timeline that some friend liked some business, for which Facebook charged that business as advertising. Facebook's terms of use that we all agree to, states that any content provided belongs expressly to Facebook. Well, the courts didn't agree. Furthermore, my (and other's) contribution to SE-R.net was not an assignment of all our rights covered by some terms of use. It was a one-time assignment of rights to SE-R.net. When SE-R.net is through with the content, the rights of use are dissolved. The owner has no right to sell or even give the content to anyone else. And it damned sure is NOT in the public domain.
So, NICO (or anyone else) has the right to use this content just because it was published on the web. Furthermore, SE-R.net (or actually it's owner(s)) don't have the right to provide that content to anyone else without the expressed written consent of the copyright owner.
At various times I do or did shoot a lot of running races and triathlons. I put the photos on the web for free *personal* use. Commercial use is strictly forbidden. I'd sue someone's ass off if they used one or more of my photos commercially (same for my written words). I own the intellectual property. No one else. Period. Otherwise they will see me in court.
I don't mean to be harsh, but there is a LOT of misunderstanding of copyright and who owns what and most of that is due to the ease of grabbing someone else's content off the web.

---- Torry Skurski <ezcheese15 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Geo, fair enough.  I'm just suggesting that anything that is hosted on se-r.net that is publicly available (to read, not copy), be transferred to NICO as its new hosting site so that the information lives on.  If NICO gets granted permission to use SE-R.net content on our site, then we don't need to request permission by individual contributors.  I'm not saying we won't, but I'm just saying we wouldn't need to.  It's like if somebody posted information in a forum somewhere.  The forum at that point has the right to grant permission to another site to use any of its content, despite who the individual poster is.
Anyway, I think we're starting to get away from the topic at hand.  I'm just asking nicely if it can be worked out where NICO can take the dirty job of going through all the info on SE-R.net and sorting it and cleaning it up and hosting it to take it off of Larry's hands.  I want to see the information live on in a modern format.  That's all.