engine support with the crossmember removed

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Wed May 22 22:48:27 CDT 2013

On 5/22/2013 12:28 PM, David Pertuz wrote:
> Hello OGs,

Word, Homie  ;)

> crossmember and remove the upper oil pan and the baffling so that I can
> get to the bearing caps.

If you have not done it before, be warned. Some of the bolts on the
upper pan a a bitch to get to. I forget if they're 10mm or 12mm heads. I
had to buy a socket with integral u-joint to get one or two. A good
selection of wrenches and extensions is useful.

> I've assumed that it is really best to support the driveline when the
> crossmember is out rather than let it hang there on the front and
> transmission mounts. But is it necessary? I have to rig up a stable

Yikes! I haven't done the "ghetto engine rebuild" in like 15 years! I
don't like to leave the engine hanging either; also stresses hoses and
wiring; but I forget how I did it. Think I cut a 2x4 or some type of
custom wood support to go under the engine or tranny for the job. Think
I've heard of cutting wodd to go across the fenders, like on the lip
under the hood, then using a chain or something to support it.

> On a related question, I've thought about pulling the whole engine/trans
> unit, which would make it a lot kinder to do the bearings (standing up
> rather than lying on my back) and would also let me do other stuff like

Ack!!! We're old enough we have to worry about our own bearings now a
days. (and I'm sporting a four door Lexus, unfortunately with an
automatic, tho' that may be changing.)

I've pulled an engine from the parts car, but never replaced one.
Pulling a cylinder head in the car is miserable, and I'd yank the engine
to do that. I don't think it's worth the hassle for the bottom end,
unless you really gotta do the other stuff.

> would have to buy/beg/borrow/steal a hoist and engine stand, neither of
> which I have. That is not all bad - I may have to eventually pull the

You can buy a cheap engine stand, like under $50 many places. You'll
need to source metric bolts in a variety of lengths. The engine is
pretty light, maybe 280 or 300lbs. I picked it up with some strain with
one other guy when I sold it. Not like putting 600lbs of big block iron
on a stand. You can rent a hoist for not much. They knock down small
enough to go in a car.

> I drove my SE-R home from the dealer on May 18th, 1993, so its 20th
> birthday passed last weekend. I can't believe I've had that car for 20
> years! I wanted to have it running again by then, and while that didn't

Freakin Cool! I'd buy a new B13 in a heartbeat if they were available
and maintainable. Although a nice balanced tossable RWD power slide last
weekend in the IS300 with the AC and stereo cranked, supportive leather
under my ass, and torque was rather fun.

-Wayne