Starter problems

Tim Rogers timprogers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 19:52:12 CDT 2011

Geo's in the right neighborhood.  The following came from here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/universal/ba101.htm

Put a volt meter on the battery posts and verify at least 12.5 volts output.
Then crank the engine (or try to) and check the terminal voltage at the
battery while cranking. If the voltage drops to 9 or 10 volts, and the
engine does not crank at all, then you may have a short to ground in the
starter motor (likely where the input terminal passes through the end plate)
which is pulling a very high current from the battery. If the engine does
crank, but the battery voltage drops below 9 volts, the battery is bad or on
its last legs and needs to be replaced. The battery should be able to
maintain at least 10 volts for up to 20 seconds of cranking the starter with
a cold engine. If it can't do that, you need a new battery.

If the battery can retain at least 10 volts when cranking, and the engine
does crank but cranks slow, or at least the starter makes some noises, then
the battery is okay, and you need to check the starter motor and all of the
fat high current connecting cables.

Tim