Texas World Speedway, last weekend

Jim Wright wrightj at apple.com
Mon Aug 1 15:59:48 CDT 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 3:08 PM, David Evans wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Jim Wright <wrightj at apple.com> wrote:
>> It's not easy to take a picture of yourself driving 100MPH, the average speed I was going at that part of the track…  I had a camera set up with a time delay set to start taking pics just after my next session started, taking pics at 1 second intervals.  Amazingly, on the 2nd lap the above photo was snapped, and it couldn't have been more perfect.
>
> What was your shutter speed set to?  Looks like it was maybe in the 1/60 range or below.   Also did you have the camera set to autofocus?

I think I actually had the camera set to use its auto settings, the image info indicates a 1/200 shutter.  I didn't experiment with any action shots with this camera prior to setting it up, or I probbaly could have dialed it in a bit better.  It was just set up on a GorillaPod, happily snapping away pics until the memory card filled up.  ;)

> Funny you mention an accident photo.  I took this one back at the convention in 2005 when I was practicing panning.  I didn't realize
> the background would turn out so well.
>
> http://bierzen.com/serca_2005_162.jpg

Nice.  Big difference when you have the camera in your hands vs setting it up and letting it get the shot on a timer.  Maybe one day I'll take a class and figure out what all those buttons and settings do on my cameras.  ;)

There was actually a professional photographer there taking shots, I was already planning to pick up a CD from him of the event, so I wasn't overly concerned about getting a bunch of shots, or I'd probably have played around with this a bit more.

Jim