P10 Driver Axle

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Mon May 16 16:50:09 CDT 2011

On 5/16/2011 2:36 AM, Jon Pennington wrote:
> I -think- I need a new axle. The struts on the G20t are shot, maybe
> the balljoints, too, and then this happened:
> When I pulled into the driveway, I eyeballed the driver tire to
> something more than 5 degrees of camber. I'm used to about 2.5, which
> is where the passenger sits, but the driver was a LOT more leaned in.

The axle does not position the wheel or hub, nor carry any load.  it
only transmits torque.  So if the wheel is flopped out like that,
something else broke.  The extra stress on the axle (stretching or
flexing more than normal) may have trashed a boot or joint, but that's
secondary.  Sounds like a ball joint or lower control arm.  IIRC the G20
has some fancy multi-link stuff instead of struts;  don't know anything
about that.

You really shouldn't keep driving when stuff that major breaks!

If you're in a decent sized city, there should be indie shops around to
rebuild them.  Back in Ohio, one place charged $25 to clean / repack /
reboot an axle, if there was no other damage.

-Wayne