Starter

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Wed May 11 08:33:42 CDT 2011

On 5/11/2011 12:45 AM, Larry Martin wrote:
> I can't recall if the starters in the 92's were differentiated by VIN
> numbers or not (No George, I haven't checked the archive yet and it's
> wet and dark out there where the car is just now). Looks like I may have
> a dead one and don't know if it's Hitachi or Mitsu. Was it VIN or just
> whatever came out of the parts bin at any given time? And what
> difference does it make?

The Hitachi and Mitsu are interchangeable on all B13s, and probably all
other FWD SR20s.  The Hitachi is more failure prone, and often makes
obnoxious squealing noises on startup.  Get the Mitsu;  it's easily
spotted by a shroud and bearing carrier extending out around the pinion
gear.

Here's some chatter from me and other list folks that got posted on
SE-R.net way back when, with part#s:
http://www.se-r.net/car_info/problems/index.html#starter%20squeal

-Wayne