CA smogging questions

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Wed May 4 14:20:12 CDT 2011

I've got a question for those of y'all in CA. One of my friends just bought my '96 P10 and drove it back to CA from Chicago. He had a smog appointment for it today, and it did not pass. I am not sure what all the issues are (my phone battery died, so I got cut off) but it sounds like the motor itself is an issue. I got the car with a bad motor and when it eventually I died I put in a replacement from SOKO, when they still had a warehouse in Chicago. It is a red-top motor, though I don't know whether it's high-compression or not. All emissions equipment is the same, as that (incl. intake mani, etc.) was carried over from the original engine.

-Is this car going to pass CARB smog at all with the motor it has? If nominally no, is it possible to find a friendly place that will pass the car as long as it actually passes the sniffer, etc.?

-Does CARB do a sniffer test for OBD2 cars? IL has emissions 'testing' but it's just a plug-in-to-the-OBD2-port thing, and the car has never had a sniffer test in my ownership of it, so I have no idea if, say, the cat is good.

What else do I not know about CARB emissions compliance? I really want to help him find a solution to this. The car is stock except, I suppose, for the possible high compression.

thanks,
David